Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Glitches gone...for now!

I was having the darnedest time accessing Blogger yesterday and I worried that the last Mercury Retrograde for 2009 might have arrived earlier than scheduled but I am able to access Blogger today - WHEW!

Many thanks to those of you who commented on my post regarding special gifts. I was particularly struck by Mel's comment on different cultures having different ways to decorate for the holidays so I'm very glad that I was able to show a glimpse of what a Mexican holiday can look like. Perhaps next year I'll divulge more about the Mexican culture at the holidays - unless I decide to do a French-themed holiday!

Holiday movies I like to watch...my very favorite is "The Bishops Wife" - Cary Grant is so dashing!

Some of my personal traditions for the holiday includes my Annual Movie Matinee with my dear Wise Woman, Janet. Janet is Jewish and does not celebrate Christmas, but she does love the time that the holiday allows for visiting friends she does not get to see often during the course of the year. Janet and I started our Annual Movie Matinee a few years back so I could show her favorite moments of my favorites movies. We start with delicious foods and there is always goat cheese since we share a love for it! Then we settle in as I show her favorite highlights or funny moments from some of my favorite movies. It is one of the things I look most forward to all year...


Another annual event that I look forward to is the Los Angeles Holiday Celebration. This amazing and FREE* event has taken place every Christmas Eve since 1959, making this year the 50th Celebration. I remember watching it at home as a little girl since it's simulcast on my favorite local public televison station, KCET. One year, I finally went in person since many friends (and a future boyfriend!) were performing in the Celtic Arts Center Choir and I wanted to lend my support. It is an amazing show of amazing and diverse talent that is a real treat to see live. In the past few years this fantastic event has been nationally telecast on PBS stations and KCET is planning a webcast for Christmas Eve! Do try to tune in if you can - you won't be sorry, I promise!


I love "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and my dear boyfriend bought me this gift knowing that - they actually skate to the tune "Christmas Time is Here" by Vince Gauraldi, a great jazz musician


I may be working on a new tradition regarding the new year coming which I may share soon, so stay tuned!



* - have I ever mentioned that FREE is my favorite 4-letter "F" word?!?!?? ;)

1 comment:

humel said...

Yum, goat's cheese..... This new tradition sounds intriguing, can't wait to hear more! :-)