Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Donation Winner!

Many thanks to the readers who left their favorite charities in my post where I offered to donate $20 to their favorite charity. I am donating on behalf of ANNA who left her favorite charity of the YWCA, East Cherry Hill location. Anna, please e-mail me with your last name since I will be making this donation in YOUR name!! You will find the e-mail in the side-bar of the blog =-)



I'm still having trouble getting into the spirit of the holidays but I was glad to see that ChunkyChooky has been writing about similar feelings - now I don't feel like I'm the only one!


I really liked her post about whether to tell her children about Santa or not. I know it can be a tricky thing and some people have been traumatized when they discover there is no actual "Santa Claus"!



What I find interesting is how the Giving Spirit of the season goes by the name of "Santa Claus" at this time of year, but goes by the name of "Charity" for the rest of the year, as if the Giving Spirit undergoes a gender transformation!! What is that about??!?!




Since it seems that giving has been making me feel better during this crazy time of year I'd like to share something I discovered...



I came across this fantastic e-book at the blog of Seth Godin, when reading at Brazen Careerist the other day. Both blogs can be very interesting and often provocative reading, but this FREE e-book is filled with great little essays. I haven't made my way through the whole collection but I really appreciated one of the essays from the man himself on the topic of Generosity, which you can find on page 5. But here is what I loved in the essay the most:




"Art can't happen without someone who seeks to make a difference.This is your art, it's what you do. You touch people or projects and change them for the better.

This year, you'll certainly find that the more you give the more you get."



I think this may be a resolution for the next year!


here's a favorite treat i love at this time year: hot chocolate! mugs from my personal collection

3 comments:

anna said...

Wow! that is so cool! Thank you!

humel said...

Congrats, Anna :-) This is such a lovely thing for you to do xx

ChristinaLaFey said...

This is awesome! I personally can't stand the whole winter holiday thing either, but one year I fed the homeless with some friends, and really felt like that was what it should be really about.
And the Trader Joe's sipping chocolate is one of my new favorite treats; good choice!