Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Today, I Am Born...

Some Stats:
Born at UCLA Hospital, Los Angeles California
November 17, 1965 at 5:55 am
Western Astrology: Scorpio
Eastern Astrology: Year of the Snake


can you believe i was this cute once?? ;)

A Creative Beast is born!!

Today is my personal New Year and what a year it has been. Many trials and many joys occurred in the last year; here's a quick run-down:
  • have worked with amazing Life Coach, Pete Lee for just over a year
  • began a plan to find a new job that is more fulfilling
  • began to formulate ideas for creating my own job - one that does not yet exist!
  • dreamed of starting my own blog
  • bought book "Taking Flight" by Kelly Rae Roberts - charmed and inspired by her journey
  • dreamed of attending an art retreat
  • began a test blog to learn some basics of the Blogger system
  • registered for An Artful Journey Retreat and got space in Kelly Rae Roberts class!!
  • Launched "The Creative Beast" blog - this was BIG!!
  • "met" Tinniegirl/Cathy through the Artful Journey online group
  • pitched workshop/class ideas to owner of local knitting shop - met with enthusiasm!
  • Participated in first Blogtoberfest, with encouragement from Tinniegirl
  • Submitted resume/portfolio to production company and craft magazines for potential creative jobs
  • 'met' more amazing artists through Blogtoberfest
  • working on creating curriculum for future classes at knitting shop and other locations
  • looking forward to Artful Journey in 2010
  • working on creating organized and beautiful workroom worthy of a Creative Beast!
And that's the short list!!


Looking forward into the next year, I have been considering taking the challenge posed by Rachelle Mee-Chapman at her blog, Magpie-Girl. Go ahead and read this post about it and then this other post, then come back to hear my personal plan. Go on, I'll wait! ;)


Have you read her posts on "A Year Without Clothes"? Great! So here is my plan for participating...


Challenge:
A year without clothes, new, on sale or used!

  • I will use this challenge as a way to get the creative fashion juices flowing and use fabrics in my stash to make the clothes I dreamed of when I bought those fabrics
  • I will utilize the many, many clothes residing in my closets and work room by embellishing them to give them new life or renovating the items i've found at thrift shops that are still waiting for renovation
  • I will use those projects to create tutorials to share with like-minded folks who have an interest in STYLE over fashion and like wearing unique garments, especially ones they have made for themselves
  • I hope to inspire others to join in this challenge throughout the next year


I just love Rachelle's project and I love that she encourages everyone to play along and make their own rules as they go. I will certainly utilize the idea of having 'coupons/passes' to allow me to buy certain things as the year progresses. I will have a friend hold those coupons for me so I have someone to be accountable to for using them, but will list them on this blog so you all know what I'm up to and will help me stay on track for this challenge.

I will begin this challenge on Black Friday, a day before Buy Nothing Day(US), since I usually celebrate Buy Nothing Day(UK) on that day.



I know this is going to be a big challenge for me in the next year but I'm ready to take it on. Will you lend support and encouragement on this journey? Would you like to join me? Let me know what you think!

PS: "Thank You" to some of you who have sent advance wishes for my birthday - they have been truly wonderful and heartwarming =-)

9 comments:

humel said...

I'm sure you're still that cute :-)

I know you're a beautiful person :-)

And I hope you have a lovely birthday :-)

glitterbygrammie said...

Happy Birthday. It looks like your next year will be full and very busy. Nothing wrong with that.Have a great next year.

CurlyPops said...

Happy Birthday! Isn't it amazing when you look back at all of the acheivements made in the space of one short year. Hope you have a wonderful day.

anna said...

Happy birthday!!!

The Creative Beast said...

Thank you all for the wonderful wishes! It's been a GREAT day and there's still a dinner to come!! =-)

Cathy (Tinniegirl) said...

Happy, happy birthday. Love your list and very much admire you taking on your challenge. I can't take on such a challenge when the opportunity to buy clothes at Gap is going to present itself in Feb!

The Creative Beast said...

Thank you Cathy! I love the Gap but haven't been able to afford anything from that store for quite sometime =-( - I envy you the opportunity to shop at Gap next February!!

Anonymous said...

Hi There! Testing Testing checking to see if I can leave a comment
Margarita

Anonymous said...

yes i think it worked!
Margarita