Friday, November 20, 2009

Sewing Room Update...

my sewing table before the clean-up and de-clutter began...

I've been meaning to give an update on how the clean-up in the sewing room went during my "4 days to 44" that I posted last week. I can say that by the end of Saturday, it was a bigger mess than I started but I knew that would happen so I tried not to stress about it too much and proceeded to spend the evening with my dear boyfriend, and then Sunday morning having breakfast with some good friends to celebrate my birthday. I did more work for a few hours on Sunday but the bulk of clearing the sewing table took place on Monday and here is how my sewing table now looks:

my trusty overlock machine

this Kenmore machine has been with me since the age of 11 and still going strong!

an IKEA storage item (thrifted!) now housing all the sewing implements that had cluttered the table before

It took quite a bit of 'elbow grease', but passing the time with Sex and the City playing on my MAC really helped the time go by! I was excited to have found a use for the IKEA storage unit since I originally bought it for rubber stamp storage and I had not utilized it yet so it made it's way into the sewing room to house all the necessary sewing implements that I like to keep near my sewing machine. I have plans to collage cover it and hope to do that soon!(I'll be sure to post pictures of that!)

As for my other work table it's not quite looking like this from last week, but it is a little cleaner.


I'll continue working on clearing this table during the weekend and next week...

I did take a picture of the closet in the workroom before the clearing commenced and here is what it looked like before the tornado* hit:


how can i make this closet look organized and pretty...is that possible??

I don't have any pictures of what the closet looks like now but this closet also got some clean-up but I would really love to make it look more organized and pretty, if such a thing is possible. During the cleaning, I went through the bins of fabric and made notes on what I currently have and hope to use during my "No Clothes Challenge". It was great to consolidate like fabrics together and clear out goods that I know I won't be using. I cleared a lot of items in the room and made space so when I get the new sewing table there will be room to assemble it - I hope! I also uncovered some holiday items I'd nearly forgotten about but I'm glad I found them! Be on the look-out for some pictures of the holiday items soon...

Now that the sewing table is cleared, my dear boyfriend is asking if we will be going to IKEA to get the long dreamed of sewing table soon, but for some reason I'm feeling hesitant to actually buy it. I'm not sure if it's not wanting to spend the money, though I set aside funds from costume work for this very table. Or maybe I want the room to look better before I bring a sparkling new item into the room...??




Have you been hesitant to move toward "The Long Dreamed Of" thing in your life? If so, what did you do to break through and claim that thing?? I'd love to hear what you did - maybe it will help me go out and get that new sewing table!!


* - did i really say 'tornado'? guess i now have those on the brain after admitting my secret desire to chase them !!

3 comments:

glitterbygrammie said...

Glad to see a fellow pack rat type person. I have beads, material and yarn stacked in my closet. Not to mention that I season shop and decided last year that this year I would do my tree only in candy canes . So I bought so many that went on sale after christmas last year. They are stacked everywhere in the closet. So I really don't have a suggestion except do waht I do, just close the door.

humel said...

Wow, that's a real transformation :-)

(If you're at a loose end, I have a 'crafty corner' in my living room that my husband is desperate to see tidy....)

PS The bungee jump was totally a one-off!! It was amazing, and it raised a lot of money for charity, but oh boy - I will not be doing another one!!

The Creative Beast said...

Glitterbygrammie, closing the closet door might be a good idea though i have many supplies in that closet and like to have easy access to them...

Mel, you are so funny! i'm not sure i can help out with your c'rafty corner' from my part of the globe, though it would be a fun afternoon trying if i could be there! =-)