Wednesday, November 4, 2009

One year ago, on this day...

One year ago on this day, America made history by electing it's first African-American president, Barack Obama...


I LOVE how self-possessed he is in this moment before the Inauguration Ceremony...

The self assurance this man possesses is nothing short of phenomenal - it takes a bit of life experience to get to this place, my friends, but as we see, it can be done!

A moment in History...


The moment the announcement was made that Barack Obama was the 44th President of the United States of America was quite a moment and in January I took the day off to watch the Inauguration Ceremony and witness History continue to unfold. It was a long journey from 2004...

**** ***** ***** ***** *****

In 2004, when George Bush won his second term as president, I was beside myself and simply had to create something to express my deep felt disappointment. Here is what I created:



collage 'flag' with hand-written background & photocopied textiles as paper


This piece would alternately be titled: "A New Flag for A New America" or "A Better Flag for A Better America", depending on my mood with the state of the nation. The hand-written background contains ideals of what the colors of the flag represent for me:

Red is for Courage - White is for Compassion - Blue is for Truth
Red is for Passion - White is for Purity - Blue is for Honesty
Red is for Love - White is for Innocence - Blue is for Integrity

detail of hand-written section

After the election of Barack Obama I finally knew the title of the piece would be "A Better Flag for a Better America". I believe this country has all the elements to be a great nation that our Founding Fathers would be truly proud of if they were alive today.




Now, this was not the first time I used art to make a"political statement". Way back in the mists of time there a strange fellow who tried to run for president of this country and I thought he was quite deluded in his thinking so this is what I created for him:



"Rebel Without a Clue" By "The Creative Beast"


Does anyone even remember this man? His name is Ross Perot and who knows where he is today!

It can not be overlooked that this country experienced a BIG shift when Barack Obama was elected to the presidency and I just couldn't let the day pass without taking a moment to celebrate this 'anniversary' in the history of America and re-live some of the moments. Thank you for reading my moment of nostalgia!


I did not note the sources of the photos since they were collected in January and I did not think I would share them publicly but I can say that many were pulled from Associated Press, Getty Images and the New York Times. If anyone can correct the sources, please let me know and I will ba happy to do so!

4 comments:

humel said...

I love the way you have responded to politics through your art :-)

The Creative Beast said...

thanks Mel!

Cathy (Tinniegirl) said...

Wouldn't you love to meet him? I would love to meet him.

The Creative Beast said...

ABSOLUTELY!

you do mean Barack Obama right?? ;)