Wednesday, November 11, 2009

More Shifting...

I've been at a bit of a loss on what to blog about lately since I have been 'shifting', as I mentioned in a previous post.

Being an artist is tough. I live in a society that doesn't really value art - if it did, we would still have art as curriculum in the schools. This is why I have been "underground" so to speak, but after discovering the world of art blogs, I knew I would eventually join the community and make my voice heard among the many brave and artful souls that I have followed for the last few years.


I read Tinniegirl's recent post and I know how she feels because I've been there. And I also know that it does pass, those dark feelings...

I love that she states "You are the one creating this struggle" because it is something I have been working with lately after seeing Wayne Dyers movie "The Shift". We do sometimes create our own struggle and I know because I've been working my way out of the struggle to leave a job that is not fulfilling. I struggle with creating a life that is more meaningful to me, that allows me to create and to share creation and creativity with other like-minded people, but I often fall into the "infinite abyss"* when it seems as if nothing is really happening. I heard once:

"Pain is the distance between where we are and where we WANT to be"

(source unknown)


and I instinctually felt that this is the pain I find myself in. Artists have a unique way of seeing what is possible in the world and when the reality of what surrounds us fall short of the beauty we KNOW this world can be, it is painful and disappointing. But at the same time, the fact that we CAN see potential, beauty and the possibilities of an amazing future can be our saving grace and is the North Star** we can use to guide us on our artful or creative journeys.

Sometimes we just need to take time for ourselves to sift out what is really unhappiness or what is a period of contemplation of growth that may be taking place or has already taken place. I know this 'shifting' work that I am in process with comes with 'growing pains' of doubt, uncertainty and unknowing of the outcome. I am so fortunate to have a wonderful Life Coach who is on this journey with me, who has encouraged me to move from being 'underground' to being in the light and let my voice be heard.

I am also fortunate to have 'met' so many wonderful artists and creators through my blog and I applaud you all for your valiant energy to continue walking the path of creation and artistry - you all inspire me everyday!



* - "infinite abyss" used in the movie "Garden State" - great movie about learning that depression and unhappiness are part of the Human Experience

** - "North Star" used in the book "Reviving Ophelia" by Mary Pipher - used as a metaphor for the guide/goal to help you steer your own boat/stay on your own path

3 comments:

humel said...

I love that quotation x

Thanks for inspiring me :-)

The Creative Beast said...

I'm glad that someone finds me inspiring!!

may i just say that i am SO amazed at your output on your blog - it looks like twice a day!! keep on creating Mel - you are amazing =-)

Cathy (Tinniegirl) said...

This is such a beautiful post. I'm so lucky to have met new friends and teachers who seem to be on a similar kind of journey.