Monday, November 2, 2009

Hello dollies!

So it was quite a weekend finishing my Joy Doll and sprucing up a boy doll for a baby shower I attended this weekend. Here is the baby shower gift - isn't he cute?!



Since we all knew the gender of the baby-to-be I knew I could use one of the few boy dolls I have and made a new blue t-shirt and knitted a scarf to match...he was VERY well received at the baby shower...



But most of my time this weekend was spent on completing my own Joy Doll and here she is!



I think I will name her "Happy-happy Joy-joy"!



As I began work I knew I wanted to include symbols of things that make me feel happy and joyful, such as music, flowers, the sun and love. I hand embroidered the sun and hearts on the dress and did them all free-hand...I can't believe the line of hearts turned out so well without a drawn-in guideline to help me! This the way I like to draw the sun...



I also knew I wanted her to have a crown and decided to use some of my vintage sheet music glued to cardboard to give it some stiffness...


I may have to make myself a crown like this!

It was fun to make this doll and great to see the submissions of those who participated. My Wise Woman is currently reviewing the submissions and there should be a winner for the giveaway by Wednesday!

I plan on leaving the link in the sidebar so if anyone in future would like to make a Joy Doll guidelines will be available and be sure to share your finished dolls by sending pictures!

Many thanks to Tinniegirl for hosting Blogtoberfest and many thanks to the participants who discovered my blog and joined me in my first follow-along project! I plan on having more in the future so stay tuned...

3 comments:

Cathy (Tinniegirl) said...

She's gorgeous. I really like her sun and her crown especially.

humel said...

Oh, she's amazing :-) I love how you've incorporated all the joyful elements! And the doll's realy pretty :-)

The Creative Beast said...

thank you ladies! and thank you so much for participating in the follow-along! i LOVED your submissions and they are now being reviewed by my dear Wise Woman, Janet.

HUMEL: i will work on creating a little tutorial for the recycled t-shirt scarf soon and even see if my boyfriend can help me create a PDF for downloading =-) - thanks for the encouragement!