Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Confession...

an effigy of "The Spirit of Consumer Christmas" I made and burned at a bonfire in November...



I admit it:

I'm a Scrooge at Christmas...



...but I think I'm actually the flip side of Scrooge because I love the decorations, the lights and the music. I love spending time with my very dearest friends and my dear wonderful boyfriend. I love most holiday movies. And I just can't live without viewing one of the many versions of "The Nutcracker" that I own, especially "The Hard Nut", choreographed by Mark Morris - it's so much fun to watch and a great spin on the classic versions.




But I do NOT love the CONSUMERISM that takes place during this time of the year =-(




WHEW! I'm feeling better now that I've gotten that off my chest...



There are a few other things I don't particularly like about this time of year, but I will not discuss them all at once. What I will do is write about certain aspects of this time of year that trouble me, ask for various view-points and then follow-up with what I DO like about this time year, in the hopes it will move me out of my yearly holiday funk*...



Is there something you don't particularly like about this time of the year? How would you change it if you could? I'd love to hear your thoughts!




This idea came about from reading at the blog of Pepper Stitches, who is writing down the things she is grateful for until she reaches 1000, in the hopes it will increase her happiness - I think it will =-)

2 comments:

humel said...

I only just found this post - did it publish out of sequence?

Anyway.... I'm trying to think of something I don't like about Christmas. I guess it would have to be the consumerism. The way the celebration of a simple, beautiful and vital event has become a bloated festival of overeating, overdrinking and overspending. But to be honest, I don't think about it too much - I *love* Christmas, and I like the way we as a family celebrate it. I've taken control of my Christmas and that makes the difference :-)

The Creative Beast said...

hi Mel!
yes, i realized it published out of sequence and i think i fixed it...

i'm liking the way your family celebrates the holiday since there are so many birthdays in this month; and you're right about taking control-i think i may have found some fun ways to do that - stay tuned!