Friday, October 16, 2009

Wild Things and Wild Costumes...

The movie "Where The Wild Things Are" was released yesterday in theatres but I have to say I have no memory of reading it in my youth . I do love children's literature and have a small collection of amazing stories with beautiful artwork but this book had not made it into my world until this afternoon when I had an opportunity to skim through it at the book section of Best Buy...cute story but I can see how the artwork really plays a part in the telling of the tale.

What the movie does invoke for me is fond memories of working with amazing artists during my time in costumes. I met so many people who were fantastically talented working on large scale costumes such as those I keep seeing in commercials for "Wild Things", people who did really detail-oriented work such as hair punching...here is what it entails:



punching individual strands of hair (usually synthetic) into latex to create a 'hairy face' or sometimes smaller items like a beard or mustache for makeup effects

It is incredibly detail-oriented and intensely tedious work and I had nothing but awe for the folks who did this work. I did hear some scuttlebutt about the costumes but I located this post from a costumer who was actually on the set doing what we call "refurb" work and you can read about it here. If I manage to see this film in theatres, it will be for the costumes, you can bet on that!

2 comments:

Tania said...

I'm right with you on the costume curiosity, but I have also cultivated ten other reasons to declare it a must see! (any excuse to see a movie accessorized by popcorn)...

Creative Beast said...

mmmm! popcorn!

you need a movie to eat popcorn?!?? ;)