Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tools of my trade - Collage Art

mixed media for creating a collage gift for a friend who recently bought a home


I'd thought I'd share some other "tools of the trade" today - collage making tools...


heart stickers, vintage photo, bubble alphabet stickers, vintage check draft from 1885 , key stickers


I love collage and am inspired by the grand-daddy of collage artists: Joseph Cornell. I have a few books about his work and really love the "Pharmacy" box series. If you want to learn more about his work, explore this cool website I just discovered - it seems there is a new craft book where you can simulate creating one of his boxes! I will have to find a way to buy this new book...


vintage photos, vintage postcard photos of homes, vintage barrel keys, scrapbook paper of 'wood'

Okay, back to my tools. I use lots of paper ephemera to create my collage work such as vintage photos, old paperback books in foreign languages, old foreign currency, vintage postcards, scrapbook papers, images from magazines...I think you're getting the picture.

vintage paperback book in Spanish language, stickers, photos and my trusty portable typewriter

I like to add quotes or simple sentences to my collages, if I think it fits. I usually use my portable typewriter to type out the words and sometimes cut the words to paste them individually since they might have to fit into strange corners of the work. I generally make a mix of water and glue and decoupage the papers to the surface of whatever I am working on. For this project, I am going to try to collage onto a 12"x12" canvas. We'll see how it turns out!

No comments: