Thursday, October 29, 2009

Things I Like to Make - T-shirt Scarves

I thought I'd share another thing I like to make - recycled t-shirt scarves!

I got this idea after seeing a scarf at a shop one day that was made of various t-shirts cut into several squares. The mix of t-shirts was not very color coordinated and the squares were all the same size. I really liked the concept but the execution seemed to be lacking, at least for me...

I am very into color coordination so I thought a scarf made with colors in a similar family would look nicer and making the squares different sizes would create some visual interest. It took a few years before I made some time to work out my theories, but I finally did work them out as you can see here:


I simply cut the squares and did not finish the edges, so after washing the edges tend to curl nicely, lending even more visual interest...



I've made a few of these scarves for friends as gifts and here are two scarves in my personal fashion arsenal...



Needless to say, the winner of the Joy Doll give-away will receive one these treats in the bag of goodies! I have other colors available and am thinking of cutting some graphic t-shirts in future to play with - I'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, here is my Joy Doll so far!



I will have her finished by Saturday, but may not be able to post pictures until Monday after the holidays taking place this weekend. How is progress going on the other dolls out there? Anyone feeling stuck?? Or just running out of time like me?!? I really can't wait to see them all - Good luck!

4 comments:

Cathy (tinniegirl) said...

I'm on the last leg (pardon the pun) of mine. I'll be doing my big reveal on Sat on my blog.

alitareads said...

Oh, I like those scarves!!

humel said...

Gorgeous scarves! I want one!! How are the squares joined together? Could you post a tutorial some time, pretty please?!

daffado said...

loving the scarves!!