Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Things I like to make - Affirmation Cards

If you haven't seen Tinniegirl's amazing new item, "Messages From The Universe", go look at them here. They are really great!

I thought it was quite a coincidence that she posted this great new item on Sunday, since that was approximately the day I was photographing my own affirmation cards that I call "The Basics". I created these little affirmation cards many, MANY years ago and they were inspired by the artist SARK, who has written many books on being an artist and being creative. I have Inspiration Sandwich and A Creative Companion and in one of them she wrote about creating affirmation cards by hand using rag paper, bright colors and then tying them together with bright string. I don't know what messages she used but she only made about 1000.

I was so taken by that idea of hand-making affirmation cards and I thought I could make some of my own, creating them to delight me and use messages that were so simple, they could be three words long. I knew there were affirmation cards in the market already but not many that you could actually tuck into your pocket, which is another thing I really wanted.

I made mine from brown cardboard that is easily found and cut them to 2" by 1 1/2" cards. I then hand wrote the messages and added simple symbolic artwork and sewed little muslin bags with colored 1/8" ribbon to tie each batch up portfolio-style.

Here is what they look like:



I have made many of these little cards through the years and sold or given them away and they always get an enthusiastic response. A set of these will be part of the big "Bag of Goodies" giveaway for the Joy Doll Project...




When I am able to open my etsy shop, I plan on selling these little gems - would you consider buying them for yourself or your friends?

6 comments:

humel said...

Ooh, I think they're lovely :-) Your business cards are also totally fabby! Can't wait to see what else your etsy shop will hold...

Cathy (tinniegirl) said...

Absolutely I would. They're beautiful. Perhaps you'd like to do a swap - my messages for yours?

Our journeys seem to be lined up at the moment!

The Creative Beast said...

Tinniegirl, i would LOVE to do a swap! i'll be in touch after Blogtoberfest to work out the details =-)

humel said...

lol @ your comments on my blog! You totally have a bonus entry ;-)

Cathy (tinniegirl) said...

Oh excellent on the swap. I'll wait to hear from you. I've been meaning to email you anyway so I might get in first.

kristina wong said...

yay!