Monday, October 5, 2009

A little her-story...

I spent some time on Sunday working on a few things for a designer I've worked with for many years, Phyllis.


Now, I've mentioned before that I have been sewing for many, many years. What I have not mentioned is where I have done some of this sewing. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles, the entertainment capital of America, so I have been fortunate enough to work as a seamstress in many places. Here's a list of the most prestigious:


Disney Imagineering

Jim Henson's Creature Shop
L.A Opera Costume Shop
Center Theatre Group Costume Shop


I've also worked at non-union shops and character creation shops that make "walk-around" characters, such as those you see at Disneyland. I had a LOT of fun at these jobs.

So, back to Phyllis - I met Phyllis many years ago when she lived around the corner from me and she has made a great career for herself: she designs for a lot of R & B and rock singers and often goes on tour with them. For instance, a few years ago she called me to help out backstage when she was working on Paul McCartney's "Back In the US" tour.



Phyllis has been a great support and a great inspiration for me. She has created an amazing creative work life for herself and sometimes I to get to assist her. She has also been very encouraging in regards to how I price my work:

"You do such great work and you're not charging enough for it. You can charge more than you do"


I have been working on this and have started to charge a little more for the work I do for other people, if it's custom clothing or simple alterations. I have Phyllis to thank for encouraging me to value the work I do. And I thank her for calling me to assist her in her projects - it's always fun work!


You know, looking back at my list of 'credentials' I'm realizing I should ABSOLUTELY be charging more for my sewing skills - it's not THAT easy to get into some those establishments!

1 comment:

oannie said...

Hi CB, I am reading through the Blogtober list- I really love this post, about you and Phyllis. Some envy, too; I have many times wondered how it is I don't make my living sewing. Several of my relatives did in the past. Anyway, I love the post, I am glad you use your talent so well.