Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gifts I've Made - "Pill Box"

I am officially on vacation by the time this posts! I thought I would prepare some items for the blog in anticipation of my time away. Today I will share a special gift I made for a dear friend last year...it was a "pill box".


vintage pill box found at Pasadena City College flea market

I have a dear friend that I met during my time sewing costumes all over Los Angeles and her name is Margarita. She has experienced some difficulties in her life recently and I felt she needed some soul food and reminders to rest, meditate and laugh.


I had purchased a vintage pill box at the Pasadena flea market a few years back intending to create something with it and the time had finally come to work with this item. The box has an old label with the instructions take the pills in this manner: "one as directed for pain".


I had the idea to create "pills" of quotes that could be pulled out and looked at when needed for a little lift of the spirits. I found a series of quotes that were either inspiring, thoughtful or funny and I typed them on the computer and made a few print-outs on pink paper so I could cut them all to size to fit the box. I made sure to have a few extra copies in case the cutting went haywire, even though I tried to leave lots of space between quotes.


pill box filled with "quote pills" that are inspiring, thoughtful or funny - take as needed for soul food!

I then carefully glued one of the edges to little cocktail toothpicks, the kind that have nice ends with extra ridges so there would be something to grab to pull out the "pill". It was a small area to cover but it worked! I then rolled each quote pill into a tight roll so I could fit an even dozen into the box. It was a tight squeeze but they did fit. I gave this to her along with some lovely yarn, since she is a knitter, to encourage her to take time for herself and knit something special with the yarn. She really enjoyed this gift and got a kick out of some of the funnier quotes:


"If a man says something, but there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"
unknown

and:

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
unknown

But I made sure to include this quote:


"A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book"
Irish proverb



Those Irish sure have the right idea...so I will be spending time at the Seaside Highland Games in Ventura, California this weekend and hope some of that Irish wisdom will rub off! At the very least, there will be lots of men in kilts to look at, especially my boyfriend - he looks great in a kilt!


Remember that I am planning a follow-along project - details coming!

5 comments:

Cath from chunkychooky said...

what an absolutely gorgeous idea!!

Creative Beast said...

thank you! i think it turned out very well and my friend LOVED it very much =-)

Sherrin said...

What a lovely idea! So sweet!

Cathy (tinniegirl) said...

Oh I love this so much. What a wonderful idea. I think you've sowed a seed for me here.

Aimee said...

So sweet..and thoughtful!