Monday, October 12, 2009

Art Skirt...

The banner picture I'm currently using for this blog is a photo of an "art skirt" I made for a performance art piece I created and titled "Lengua Ephemera".


The artistic director of the organization I was working with to create this piece challenged me to create a unique garment, since she was familiar with my sewing work. The performance piece is about language, or rather, not speaking certain languages...

The short story behind this piece is that I am a Latina who does not speak Spanish, but it does get complicated - another story for another day!


I knew I could create a special garment that would allow me to use simple words I knew and words that held meaning for me: community, integrity, art, happiness...

My performance included dancing since I consider dance to be one of my primary means of communicating. Many people in the audience of this performance were quite enchanted with this skirt since the word pieces would flutter as a breeze came into the space during my "moments of stillness".


The word pieces are a great example of your media not working with you but making for a happy accident. I used photo transfer paper and I tested ironing a few words on a few sample fabric tabs. I realized that they were ironing onto the fabric backwards! However, I was using a fine linen fabric and the words could be seen correctly if I turned the fabric over. This worked out best in the end because the black ink on the cream linen was really too harsh, but turned over it made for a lovely "ephemera" haze. I occasionally wear this skirt at special art functions and I always get nice compliments...

1 comment:

Cath from chunkychooky said...

I have been curious about your header photo... now I understand.